Re: basic installation on 7200/75 gone really bad

On 20-May-2001 Chris Tillman wrote:
>> ok I followed the advice - on a fresh installation I did

>>> that is one of the steps, quik does not understand symlinks unfortunatly.
>> Changed /target/etc/quik.conf to include the image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 line
>>
>>> that is fine.  what you must do is run:
>>> ofpath /dev/sda
>> which gave me
>>         /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
>>
>>> then use its output to set the boot-device variable, its output should
>>> be something like: /bandit/mesh/sd@0: you need to add a zero to the end of
>>> that (its the partition number,
>>> 7200's only work with the pseudo partition zero which means `first
>>> bootable partition') so if you get /bandit/mesh/sd@0: from ofpath you
>>> would run:
>>> nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/mesh/sd@0:0
>>>                                        ^^ note the extra zero
>>> do not run nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0" for now because
>>> the ofpath in potato (and unstable atm) has a bug which will cause the
>>> boot-device to contain garbage.
>>
>>> you might want to rerun quik too, to do that:
>>> mount your root partition on /target, then mount /target/proc
>>> mount -t proc proc /target/proc
>> no probs
>>
>>> then run:
>>> chroot /target /sbin/quik -f
>> It said
>>         command /sbin/quik
>> which I interpreted as a succes
>>
>>> that will reinstall quik.  after you correct /target/etc/quik.conf and
>>> run the correct nvsetenv command your machine should boot right into
>>> Debian.  --
>> I rechecked the image=.. line
>> and I did a
>>         # nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
>>
>> And I ejected the disk and rebooted.
>> And it is DEAD. the mac does light up the screen, it doesn't access the
>> diskdrive. All I have is a power diode on the computer to tell me there is
>> power, and the jingle just when you turn on the computer.
>>
>> I have never trashed a PC as good as this mac - that is without taking it
> apart.
>> Is there some mac-trick I should know about?
>> Help me please, I get the impression of being in the deep end.
>> morten
>>
>> PS
>> since It is dead I cannot verify the 53c94 - it might be slightly different.
>
> It sounds like you're probably dying in Open Firmware, particularly if that
> path was typed wrong. Have you booted into Open Firmware?
You mean the /bandit/... path?
abd how do I know if I boot into open firmware

> It's likely on
> this machine that it will only boot in console mode. So, to see what it's
> doing you'll have to get another computer hooked up to its modem port, with
> the other computer running ZTerm. Then you'll be able to check the Open
> Firmware variables and change them with setenv.
I assume the modem port is the one with the phone icon next to it :-)
I will have to ask around if anyone has suche a cable.
It is possible to do it through the net port?

> If you get to where you can see the OF prompt, you can boot from the rescue
> floppy by typing boot fd:0 .
is the OF prompt some kind of bios-based terminal on macs?

> If you still have MacOS, boot into it by typing 'bye'. If you don't have
> MacOS but do have a MacOS CD, you can insert it and type bye to allow you to
> boot from the CD.
I don't have MacOS and no CD drive.

You're suggesting that I have asked it to boot from a partition or device
which doesn't exist? and by going througt the modem port I may rectify that?

so it is this part which is wrong
   # nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
what should it have been instead?

mo

PS
yes you guessed correctly, I am new to the wonderful world of macs.
--
E-Mail: morten <mobo@mailme.dk>
Date: 20-May-2001
Time: 18:40:36

Currently working hard for the LAI at INSA-lyon