Re: basic installation on 7200/75 gone really bad

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 06:53:43PM +0200, morten wrote:

> > It sounds like you're probably dying in Open Firmware, particularly if that
> > path was typed wrong. Have you booted into Open Firmware?
> You mean the /bandit/... path?
> abd how do I know if I boot into open firmware

when the machine starts with a black screen and appears by all
accounts dead.

> I assume the modem port is the one with the phone icon next to it :-)

yes

> I will have to ask around if anyone has suche a cable.
> It is possible to do it through the net port?

no

> is the OF prompt some kind of bios-based terminal on macs?

yes sort of.  its a Forth environment.  the OF prompt is `0 >'

> You're suggesting that I have asked it to boot from a partition or device
> which doesn't exist? and by going througt the modem port I may rectify that?

yes

> so it is this part which is wrong
>    # nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0
> what should it have been instead?

no that was correct.  quik was not installed on your drive.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/