Re: basic installation on 7200/75 gone really bad

ok I followed the advice - on a fresh installation I did

>> Ive changed the quik.conf to include image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19, so I was
>> sure it wasn't the symlink, I it didn't help.
>
> that is one of the steps, quik does not understand symlinks unfortunatly.
Changed /target/etc/quik.conf to include the image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 line

> that is fine.  what you must do is run:
> ofpath /dev/sda
which gave me
        /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0

> then use its output to set the boot-device variable, its output should
> be something like: /bandit/mesh/sd@0: you need to add a zero to the end of
> that (its the partition number,
> 7200's only work with the pseudo partition zero which means `first
> bootable partition') so if you get /bandit/mesh/sd@0: from ofpath you
> would run:
> nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/mesh/sd@0:0
>                                        ^^ note the extra zero
> do not run nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0" for now because
> the ofpath in potato (and unstable atm) has a bug which will cause the
> boot-device to contain garbage.

> you might want to rerun quik too, to do that:
> mount your root partition on /target, then mount /target/proc
> mount -t proc proc /target/proc
no probs

> then run:
> chroot /target /sbin/quik -f
It said
        command /sbin/quik
which I interpreted as a succes

> that will reinstall quik.  after you correct /target/etc/quik.conf and
> run the correct nvsetenv command your machine should boot right into
> Debian.  --
I rechecked the image=.. line
and I did a
        # nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:0

And I ejected the disk and rebooted.
And it is DEAD. the mac does light up the screen, it doesn't access the
diskdrive. All I have is a power diode on the computer to tell me there is
power, and the jingle just when you turn on the computer.

I have never trashed a PC as good as this mac - that is without taking it apart.
Is there some mac-trick I should know about?
Help me please, I get the impression of being in the deep end.
morten

PS
since It is dead I cannot verify the 53c94 - it might be slightly different.

E-Mail: morten <mobo@mailme.dk>
Date: 20-May-2001
Time: 16:47:55

Currently working hard for the LAI at INSA-lyon