Re: Problems with the mouse

On Sat, 19 May 2001 jcmarcos@quimica.uminho.pt wrote:

> Hello everybody. I am just starting to use linux in PowerPC G3 (Old
> World one) and althought the installation was sucessfull I am having
> some problems with X. In this moment the graphic interface opens ( I
> select Enlightement) but I can do nothing because the mouse is not
> responding. I suppose there is some problem with the configuration. I
> check the dev directory and the mouse is pointing to gpmdata. Is this
> O.K. or I have to change it in order to use the mouse?

Short answer: Your mouse device is /dev/input/mice or /dev/adbmouse

Long answer:

If you are using a recent version of Debian (2.2r2 or later I think), then
your kernel has the new input layer activated. The mouse device is
/dev/input/mice.  Change the /dev/mouse link to point at this file, and
make sure that /etc/X11/XF86Config lists either the /dev/mouse symlink or
the mice device itself, with protocol "ImPS/2".

If /dev/input/mice does not exist, look in the list archives
<http://lists.debian.org/> for instructions to create it.

If you installed from an older Debian CD, the mouse device is
/dev/adbmouse, and XF86Config should have protocol "BusMouse".