Re: basic installation on 7200/75

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:52:40PM +0000, mobo@mailme.dk wrote:

> The reboot doesn't start. I get a disk-icon with a ? inside. I concluded that
> it must have been a partition thing, and I might be right. During installation,
> I choose 'make hdd bootable'. This is what I want, but it doesn' install the
> bootloader !?

this step is hideouly incomplete, it will not truely make the mac
bootable.  there is a few steps you must do yourself.  (for oldworlds
this may be partially fixed in woody, i hope..)

> Ive changed the quik.conf to include image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19, so I was sure
> it wasn't the symlink, I it didn't help.

that is one of the steps, quik does not understand symlinks unfortunatly.

> My guess is that I have a problem with the partitions: I have 3, a map, a root
> and a swap. And since the installation program find both swap and root, I am
> not sure what to do next.

that is fine.

what you must do is run:

ofpath /dev/sda

then use its output to set the boot-device variable, its output should
be something like:

/bandit/mesh/sd@0:

you need to add a zero to the end of that (its the partition number,
7200's only work with the pseudo partition zero which means `first
bootable partition') so if you get /bandit/mesh/sd@0: from ofpath you
would run:

nvsetenv boot-device /bandit/mesh/sd@0:0
                                       ^^ note the extra zero

do not run nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0" for now because
the ofpath in potato (and unstable atm) has a bug which will cause the
boot-device to contain garbage.

you might want to rerun quik too, to do that:

mount your root partition on /target, then mount /target/proc

mount -t proc proc /target/proc

then run:

chroot /target /sbin/quik -f

that will reinstall quik.  after you correct /target/etc/quik.conf and
run the correct nvsetenv command your machine should boot right into
Debian.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/