Re: mac migration - parted question

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 07:39:41AM +1000, Andrew Clausen wrote:
> Claus wrote:
> > My question regarding parted is whether it's possible
> > to write an Apple partion map on the HD when it's not
> > in an Apple but a i86 notebook or desktop.
>
> Yes, it should be possible.  I haven't been able to test
> it (I only have x86), but I'm interested if it doesn't work!

it will work so long as the Mac is running GNU/Linux (and maybe OSX),
it will not work if it runs MacOS.

MacOS requires about 8 or more `driver' partitions containing
proprietary Apple disk driver code used only by MacOS (OSX does not
use/require them AFAICT).  since parted obviously does not create
these partitions much less installs proprietary code in them MacOS
will simply pretend the disk does not exist and refuse to mount any
HFS partitions on it.

regardless of whether it has a msdos or empty mac partition table on
it the MacOS partitioner drive setup should be willing to destroy all
existing partition information and create new partitions with all the
macos cruft.  i would recommend installing GNU/Linux instead though.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/