Re: New World G4 installation

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 01:40:45PM -0700, Benjamin Kite wrote:

> I wouldn't presume to correct you if I weren't certain, but both of
> my Yosemite G3s relied on BootX to get them to the point of install,
> and it served as a rescue more than once as well. Is there something
> POTENTIALLY dangerous about using BootX?

yes, BootX is NOT supported, and is KNOWN to not work well on
newworlds.  the resulting booted system will be unreliable and subject
to problems.  if you use bootx you will get NO support from anyone for
any problem until you switch to yaboot.

> Once again, with respect, I admit my relative ignorance, but please:
> why don't they belong on the bootstrap partition? Yaboot cannot find my

kernels belong on the root filesystem.  deal with it.

> kernel if I don't put it there. I've tried this through trial and error.

rtfm

> Perhaps I'm not doing it /correctly/, but I've tried alternatives with
> NO success, while this is the only place it can reliably find any new
> kernels I compile.

again if you rtfm it will all work.

you must MUST MUST set partition= correctly in /etc/yaboot.conf.

partition= must be set to the partition number which is your root
filesystem

root=/dev/hda3 then partition=3

simple. if you rtfm

--