Re: New World G4 installation

:::: Prior to now, Ethan Benson wrote :::::::
::
:: On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 04:15:26AM -0700, Benjamin Kite wrote:
:: > If you're not using BootX, you'll need to
::
:: its a G4, you CANNOT use BootX on NewWorld hardware. don't do it,
:: ever.
::

I wouldn't presume to correct you if I weren't certain, but both of
my Yosemite G3s relied on BootX to get them to the point of install,
and it served as a rescue more than once as well. Is there something
POTENTIALLY dangerous about using BootX?

::
:: > 1.	Initialize your bootstrap partition (with mkofboot)
:: > 2.	Edit the yaboot.conf file for your configuration
:: > 3. 	Install yaboot on the bootstrap partition (with ybin)
::
:: correct
::
:: > 4. 	(in my experience) Mount the bootstrap partition and stick a kernel
:: > 	on it that matches the yaboot.conf
::
:: WRONG
::
:: absolutly NEVER DO THIS.
::
:: *KERNELS DO *NOT* BELONG ON THE BOOTSTRAP PARTITION. *EVER*
::
:: please don't spread misinformation.
::

Once again, with respect, I admit my relative ignorance, but please:
why don't they belong on the bootstrap partition? Yaboot cannot find my
kernel if I don't put it there. I've tried this through trial and error.
Perhaps I'm not doing it /correctly/, but I've tried alternatives with
NO success, while this is the only place it can reliably find any new
kernels I compile.

::
:: > 5.	Make sure your OF boot-device variables point to the right place
::
:: ybin does this, comment out/delete the nonvram line in /etc/yaboot.conf
::
:: > I don't think quik works with newworlds. It didn't work on mine. Maybe I'm
:: > deranged.
::
:: quik does not work on newworlds.
::
:: --
:: Ethan Benson
:: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/
::
:::: End inclusion from Ethan Benson :::::::

--
	"Human society is not fundamentally blessed."
						-- Hayao Miyazaki