Re: problem booting hard disk after floppy/NFS install on a 7200/90

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 08:54:29AM -0500, Kevin van Haaren wrote:

> If anyone else tries this and you start out attempting to use the instructions in the powerpc install pages on debian.org, you may need to totally wipe your PRAM (zapping it via command+optin+p+r at reboot isn't enough).  The only way I found to do this was to unplug and pull the battery off the motherboard (on the 7200 it's under the harddrive/power supply tray, you'll need to flip that up to get to it)

that was not the case on my friends 7200, a command option p r did
reset the nvram when we had to do taht initially getting quik
working.

> the default (for a rev 3 install anyway) is to use the symlink /vmlinux.  Which points to /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21.  When I was having problems after using the install instructions on debian website, i wiped the PRAM and then modified quik as above.  Not sure if quik will work through a symlink or not.  Although /vmlinux points to 2.2.18pre21, 2.2.19 is installed (at least on a cd-rom install) and that's what i pointed to.

that is a bug in the quik installation then, quik does not support
symlinks.

> i went back into the installer and exited from there instead.  mainly due to the error on umount.  I thought the installer might do something to correctly umount /target.

umount /target/proc

you had to have mounted that for quik to work, since quik requires /proc

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/