Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorl d)

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 12:39:00AM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Such partition should never be mounted under MacOS, or modified by hand.
> Use ybin to modify it. Don't put any kernels there. (the Apple_Bootstrap
> partition is not visible from MacOS anyway). And to those who will tell
> me that you can't modify it if you can't boot Linux, I will answer that
> they should have a Boot CD handy, or even a second machine they can use
> as a Netboot Server (well, how did you install the system in the first
> place ?)

so long as yaboot gets loaded you *can* boot your system even with a
completely fubared yaboot.conf.  a often forgotten feature of yaboot:

boot: hd:3,/boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 root=/dev/hda3 ro

no config required for that.

unfortuatnly that feature is broken in the yaboot in potato, if dan
ever gets around to packaging yaboot 1.1.1 (hint, nag, maybe ill make
an unofficial NMU) you could install that to ensure you have this
escape.

> The only time I regretted that was when I had my potato install CD
> stolen and I rm-rf'ed (conscioulsy) my /dev to use devfs.

well this is well beyond what a bootloader can fix...

--
Ethan Benson - Boot Nazi
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/