Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorl d)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 11:20:26AM -0700, Grant Miller wrote:

> I don't think there is a bootable flag setting on Macs.  What you do need is

wrong, there is a concept of a bootable bit in mac partition tables,
there is no userland utility that gives you much control of it, but
/sbin/quik knows how to set it when installing its first stage
bootblock.

> a small (32MB) partition with the type and name set to Apple_Bootstrap.

no 800K not 32MB.  32MB is a rediculous and absurd waste of space.
out of 800K less then 100 are actually used for yaboot/ofboot.  (but
HFS requires a minimum of 800K)

do yourself a favor and give that 32MB to your swap partition instead
of just throwing it away.

> That is what yaboot/ofboot is installed into.

yes but this is only for newworld macs. this method does not work on
oldworlds.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/