Re: Call for info: slave drives bootable from OpenFirmware (OldWorl d)

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:17:32PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
>
> > that is a very poor idea.  if you allow MacOS to mount the bootstrap
> > partition it **WILL** debless it rendering your system unbootable.
>
> MacOS X doesn't seem to mess with it.

MacOS != MacOSX.  you are correct that MacOSX will not debless
things.  all versions of old style (7.*, 8.*, 9.*) MacOS do though.

one thing that MacOSX *does* do is force the permissions on all files
to be 0777, so if you have users any one of them can fsck up your
linux bootloader.

> > you should use a dedicated small type Apple_Bootstrap partition.  if
> > you know what your doing and like booting manually at the
> > OpenFirmware prompt every time fine.  if not you better follow my
> > instructions as you will get no sympathy from me otherwise.
>
> Probably a good idea in any case:-)

it is.  especially if you want to password protect yaboot, with a
Apple_Bootstrap partition it won't be mounted in OSX or MacOS allowing
users to find/remove your yaboot password. [0]

[0] yaboot now has password protection, i will post another message on
this later.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/