Re: Video Argument for BootX

This is quite old.  I don't think even Redhat does it from inittab
anymore.  It's done from /etc/init.d/[xw]dm these days.  It's all
part of the default run level and what gets started and run for that
level.  Somewhere there must be a howto on /etc/init.d and
/etc/rc[0-6S].d directories.  Read them.  Read the howto's on X as
well.  Or remove the xdm package, or just disable it by removing the
links to /etc/init.d/xdm from /etc/rc[23].d

The single user argument is "-s".  I think what the person who said
this meant was to boot to single user mode, then do whatever it is
you're going to do, like remove the xdm package.  That way X won't
be making you annoyed before you can take care of it.

Hope this crash course is of some use.