Re: potato on PB G3

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 06:01:34PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > think you will be getting "craploads of e-mail" about this ...
>
> i already DO.
>
> please follow my instructions and put the bootstrap partition first if
> you want to save hassle.  if you know what your doing and won't bother
> me with rtfm question then do it however the hell you want.

look , i don't mind helping people out and answering questions, but i
DO mind people running around creating headaches for me by telling
people to setup their system in a fragile broken way.

top two obnoxious problems:

creating the bootstrap partition as a regular HFS partition mountable
by macos.  MacOS INSISTS on unblessing the thing fairly consistently,
i DON"T want to hear about these lame hacks with fake system files
they DO **NOT** work consistently nor anywhere near 100%.  the only
solution that does work 100% is using the Apple_Boostrap partition
type.

bootstrap partition after macos partitions -- when OF gets reset user
has to manually fix things to boot again.  Solution: put the damn
bootstrap partition first and this never happens.

in short there are GOOD REASONS i document this stuff the way i do i
have spent SIGNIFICANT time researching and testing this, ive been
dealing with bootstrap tricks on macs for 5 years.

if you know what your doing fine do whatever you want, but don't
expect simpathy from me when it breaks.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/