Re: potato on PB G3

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

} if you want macos, then you do need to first partition with the macos
} partitioner but you must create the placeholder partition for linux at
} the BEGINNING of the disk *NOT* the end.
}
} otherwise you can't put the bootstrap partition first and i get
} craploads of mail about how to fiddle with OF.  always always put the
} bootstrap partition BEFORE any macos partitions,

Actually, you _CAN_.  Your utility seems to work better than you give it
credit for.  My partition table looks like:

       #                  type name          length   base (size ) system
/dev/hda1  Apple_partition_map Apple             63 @ 1   ( 31.5k) Partition map
/dev/hda2       Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         54 @ 64  ( 27.0k) Driver 4.3
/dev/hda3       Apple_Driver43 Macintosh         74 @ 118 ( 37.0k) Driver 4.3
/dev/hda4     Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh         54 @ 192 ( 27.0k) Unknown
/dev/hda5     Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh         74 @ 246 ( 37.0k) Unknown
/dev/hda6        Apple_Patches Patch Partition  512 @ 320 (256.0k) Unknown
/dev/hda7            Apple_HFS untitled     5120000 @ 832 (  2.4G) HFS
/dev/hda8            Apple_HFS untitled 2   1740800 @ 5120832 (850.0M) HFS
/dev/hda9      Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap      10240 @ 6861632 (  5.0M) Unknown
/dev/hda10     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /            1024000 @ 6871872 (500.0M) Linux native
/dev/hda11     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap           77824 @ 7895872 ( 38.0M) Linux swap
/dev/hda12     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr         1843200 @ 7973696 (900.0M) Linux native
/dev/hda13     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home        2868784 @ 9816896 (  1.4G) Linux native

As you can see, I have the bootstrap partition after all my MacOS stuff
and it works perfectly, as I am writing this on that very machine under
Potato, running my own 2.2.18 kernel.  This is on a Lombard PB. I don't
think you will be getting "craploads of e-mail" about this ...

cheers
vinai