Re: [ANN] Gnome 1.4 debs available

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > >
> > > These are the Ximian .debs?  If so, they're binary incompatible with official
> > > GNOME .debs, and Ximian is no longer supporting sid: "unstable is changing a bit
> > > too fast underneath us."  So I guess those .debs are for stable?
> >
> > Nope, for testing... Means that we won't get stuff like Nautilus 1.0.1
> > (which is part GNOME 1.4, and works on PPC) until more than 2 weeks.
> > Nautilus 1.0 from unstable is broken on PPC.
>
> I see, makes sense.
>
> Nautilus 1.0 in unstable has icon label problems on my machine, but aside from that
> it seems to work fine.  I'll wait the few days it takes for Takuo to upload 1.0.1,
> then build and upload that for PPC, but can understand if impatient testing users
> can't wait until it lands.  Well, okay, maybe I can't understand it, but that's their
> perogative. :-)
>
> > Sure... But there are people that want the stuff _now_. I wanted to test
> > Nautilus and Evolution more for example before going to GUADEC. I offer
> > them as a gift to the Debian/PPC users, and try to do my best to keep
> > them up-to-date and working. If you don't like them, and don't mind
> > waiting ages to get already obsolete packages, that's your problem.
>
> Agreed, but other Debian/PPC users should know about their limitations, right?
> Binary incompatibility with and inability to smoothly upgrade to new versions of the
> official .debs (because of version numbers) are serious issues, which any user should
> take into account before using Ximian .debs.

They are not ximian debs ! I do the exact same thing as the other
maintainers. I compile everything by hand, on the latest version of
unstable from glib to nautilus.

> Is there a problem with this?  Should I not have posted these issues to the list?

Well, you do what you want. I simply think that Debian maintainers
aren't dealing with the new packages fast enough for my taste. So I do
it myself.

> I'm not sure I understand this part of your reply...
I'm not sure I understand what you don't understand, so let's call it
even =)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera