Re: Printing Help Needed

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:01:33PM +0300, Andrei Verovski wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I have two AppleTalk printers (LaserWriter 12/640 and Tektronix Phaser
>
> the LaserWriter 12/640 is a TCP/IP printer with a BSD lpd running on
> it.  you don't need to fsck with appletalk garbage to print to it.
>
> [snip problems]
> >
> > 2) Printing from Mac results PostScript error.
>
> install the LW_8.6.1 package from apple, and use the Desktop printer
> utility to create a printer icon.  use tcp/ip and LPD not appletalk as
> the protocol.
[cut]
> i can't help you with the other printer, you should check to see if it
> really does not support tcp/ip and lpd.  appletalk is a PAIN to get
> working right.  certainly save yourself the pain on the laserwriter by
> using tcp/ip and lpd.

The netatalk .deb currently in Debian (both Potato, Woody and Sid) does
not correctly handle binary print jobs.

It is however not always the optimal solution to avoid AppleTalk IMHO: If
you have non-geek Mac users on the network it is not very userfriendly to
ask them to use lpd. Mac users expect printers to show up in the chooser,
and Windows users expect them to show up in Network Neighbourhood.

What I have done (and sure, for the admin it is not as straight forward,
but nicer for others on the LAN) is compile netatalk from
http://netatalk.sourceforge.org/ and use cupsys (to have a userfriendly
way to stop already spooled jobs) with cupsys-bsd (so that samba works
almost out-of-the-debian-box).

--- /etc/netatalk/papd.conf ---
lp:minolta_bw:\
        :pr=|/usr/bin/lp -d lp:\
        :op=daemon:\
        :pd=/etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd

-------------------------------

In samba.conf you should probably only change these:

        printing = bsd
        printcap name = /etc/printcap.cups
        load printers = yes

If you are interested, I have quite recent (and stable) netatalk binaries
here:

deb http://debian.jones.dk/debian/local {potato|progeny|sid} misc

Kind regards,

Jonas