Re: Printing Help Needed

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:01:33PM +0300, Andrei Verovski wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have two AppleTalk printers (LaserWriter 12/640 and Tektronix Phaser

the LaserWriter 12/640 is a TCP/IP printer with a BSD lpd running on
it.  you don't need to fsck with appletalk garbage to print to it.

[snip problems]

> 2) Printing from Mac results PostScript error.

install the LW_8.6.1 package from apple, and use the Desktop printer
utility to create a printer icon.  use tcp/ip and LPD not appletalk as
the protocol.

> What could be the problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> Andrei.
>

> ------------------------
>
> "<- comments" do not exist in config files, I've added them only in this
> e-mail.
>
> /etc/printcap
>

> LW640|LW640:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/LW640:\ <- .paprc is OK
>         :lp=/dev/null:\
>         :sh:sf:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :of=/etc/atalk/filters/ofpap: <- filter exists

for the laserwriter here is my lprng printcap entry, i reccommend
lprng, its quite nice.

catbert|Laserwriter 12/640
        :lp=raw@catbert
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/catbert
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs
        :mx#0
        :sh
        :lpr_bounce
        :ifhp=model=ps,config=/etc/ifhp.conf
        :if=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp
        :filter=/usr/lib/filters/ifhp

catbert is in /etc/hosts.

note i had to patch /etc/ifhp.conf, the debian maintainer forgot to
change the path to a2ps from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin.

as for configuring tcp/ip on the laserwriter do this:

get its MAC address from the startup page it prints when you power it
on.

add an entry to /etc/hosts for the printer and the ip you wish to give
it:

192.168.0.6     catbert.local.lan       catbert

run (as root):

# arp -s catbert '08:00:07:34:60:01'
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-- MAC address you found on the
                                      startup page
# ping -c 1 catbert
# ping -c 1 catbert

the first ping will timeout, the second ping should succeed, now you
can telnet to the printer and set the ip address permanently, the
tcp/ip telnet configuration screen is pretty straightforward.

now that you have tcp/ip configured try out the lprng entry and all
should work well.  i am not sure if windows can print to remote lpds
or not, that would be the simplest way.  if not setup samba to just
pipe the print jobs to the local lpr command.  lprng will do the right
thing.

i can't help you with the other printer, you should check to see if it
really does not support tcp/ip and lpd.  appletalk is a PAIN to get
working right.  certainly save yourself the pain on the laserwriter by
using tcp/ip and lpd.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/