Re: TiBook X issues

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 04:50:43PM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2001, Jonas M. Meyer wrote:
>
> > Could someone post a step-bystep tutorial of how to get X running at
> > the correct (largest) resolution on a TiBook?
>
> Well, I can give you a description of my muddled attempts.  I am running a
> 2.4.3 kernel I created from the linux-2.4-benh tree at penguinppc.org.
>
> First of all, boot option.  My yaboot.conf image section looks like this:
>
> image=hd:11,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.3
>         label=debian24
>         root=/dev/hda11
>         video=aty128fb

sorry this won't work, yaboot has no such option `video='  so the
kernel never sees this.  the correct way is:

image=hd:11,/boot/vmlinux-2.4.3
         label=debian24
         root=/dev/hda11
         append="video=aty128fb"

or a better way for your image line:

device=hd:
partition=11

image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.3
 	label=debian24
        root=/dev/hda11
        append="video=aty128fb"

> I don't think you need to use "append" for video options.  Also, remember

you most certainly do.  don't believe me? read the source ;-)

the ONLY exception is `novideo' which yaboot translates to append="video=ofonly"

> to rerun ybin after making changes to /etc/yaboot.conf or the changes
> won't be copied to the little boot partition, and won't affect your kernel
> when you reboot.

correct.

--
Ethan Benson