Re: Change swap after adding memory?

We are running 2.4.2pre4 on the penguinppc server with 512MB ram and only 384MB of swap. Even serving lots of memory eating rsyncs.

[jsmith@ash jsmith]$ uname -a
Linux ash 2.4.2-pre4 #2 Tue Feb 27 03:38:11 CST 2001 ppc unknown
[jsmith@ash jsmith]$ free
Mem:        511220     508872       2348     451176      16680     368004
-/+ buffers/cache:     124188     387032
Swap:       353296          0     353296
[jsmith@ash jsmith]$

This is the same amound of swap we were using with 2.2 and memory usage is about the same in our situation.

I guess picking the amount of swap you need is a case by case thing. On my machine at home I have 192MB of ram and if I compile mozilla while running gnome and doing some web browsing I will swap like mad (much more than in 2.2). I am current using 512MB of swap space at home in case I want compile KDE or something because I have a feeling it could all get soaked.

The biggest problem is that most pmac IDE controllers perform poorly in Linux. I am not sure if this is the fault of our drivers or the Apple hardware or both but swapping 20MB of memory on the fly gives you a real performance hit. (Much more so than doing it on an x86 with a well supported ata66 card).