Re: Change swap after adding memory?

Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 06:09:31PM -0600, Kevin van Haaren wrote:
> > I'm getting ready to add 64mb to my 16mb machine.  Currently it has a
> > swap of 48mb.  Should I boost up the swap or just leave it?
>
> Depends, is that 2.2 or 2.4?

That's really the important question...

> If 2.4, you should be ok, but keep an eye on the swap usage.

... funnily though, my advice would be different. From what I've read, Linux
kernels up to 2.2 basically just take whatever swap there is; they should work
fine without any, the more the better of course.

2.4 OTOH, due to its overhauled VM, apparently expects at least twice the RAM
size for swap. I currently have 128MB for both and swap indeed seems to be
tight.