Re: Q: double Boot for SMP 7300

I think that the answer to the original question is that when
booting from BootX, you have to have a kernel that supports SMP, but
the stock kernel does not, so you have to build your own, and put it
where BootX can find it.

I don't think there is anything that you need to do to your PRAM,
whatever that is, or your nvram, if you are using BootX.  I use
BootX on my dual processor machine, it works fine, and I have never
done anything to the nvram on that machine.

There are problems with the MP code for ppc if you want to build a
kernel with a lot of things set up as modules.  Many of these things
work fine as modules in UP mode, but have symbol problems in MP
mode.  I actually fixed the problems and made a patch, but decided
that there were so few powerpc MP users that no one would care.  But
after seeing all these messages, I can make the patch available if
people want it.  It goes against debian kernel source package for
2.2.18pre21 with the powerpc patch applied, but I'm guessing it will
go fine against 2.2.18 or 2.2.19 just fine.  YMMV.  Let me know if
people want it.  Without it, I couldn't run nfs, nfsd or nvram as
modules.  With this patch, I can.