Re: Q: double Boot for SMP 7300

> I don't know if this will work on your computer, but I just hold down the
> option key on boot.  I get a screen that has a curved arrow icon, icons
> for the Mac System partitions, and a straight arrow.  Click on the
> partition you want to boot into, and then click on the straight arrow.
> The 'puter will continue booting into that system.  (The curved arrow
> starts a new search for systems on the computer drives.)  For background
> info, I have a sawtooth G4 with three Mac system partitions - 9.04 and
> 9.1, as well as OS X PB.

No, that trick only works on NewWorld Macs. In fact, the OF on a 7x00
defaults to assuming you don't want it to use the keyboard and screen,
and will use the modem port for input and output. I could go on at
length about the faults of OF 1.0.5, but I'm sure you don't want to
know. Just assume that if you're talking about one of the early PCI
Macs that if it requires OF to be useful and/or intelligent that it
probably won't work... I actually have my 7600 booting out of OF using
quik, but it isn't fun, particularly since changes to the OF settings
get cleared anytime I boot the MacOS.

	Brad Boyer