Re: Debian Potato on G4/AGP

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:51:51AM -0600, Jonathan Wight wrote:
> On 2/22/01 10:45 AM, "Martin Svensson" <martin.svensson@masystem.se> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, i will try that as soon as possible. But How do i start linux after
> > the installation? Must i install yaboot in my system folder?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Martin
>
> Read the install guide at http://www.debian.com/ports/powerpc and do a
> search for yaboot (I downloaded the PDF - much more convenient). Basically
> you need to make a 800KB partition for yaboot (before your MacOS partitions)
> and once you have your linux partitions sorted out you install yaboot into
> there. It's all in the user guide.
>
> My question is - how do I get yaboot to automatically boot to debian without
> me having to keep the option key down?...

you must be using an anchient version of the yaboot package.  please
upgrade to the one in potato r2 (0.9-0.30-2) and change the install
and magicboot lines in /etc/yaboot.conf to:

install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

then rerun ybin.  if you want to be able to boot macos (if you have
macos) add:

macos=/dev/hda20

or whatever your macos partition is and rerun ybin.  also make sure
you upgrade powerpc-utils to at least 1.1.3-2

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/