Re: BootX and the Stuffit Fiasco.

> I believe the Stuffit self-expanding archive format works across the
> majority of the MacOS spectrum. (much wider that DebianPPC) Is there a
> reason not to use that file format for the Debian PowerMac install items?

The same reason why zip archives aren't accepted anymore for other
architectures? There's only a non-free tool to write the archives in
Linux (or no tool at all, in the StuffIt case).
Suspending a boot-floppies build just to copy some files over to a Mac with
StuffIt, packing the archive there, copying the archive back to your build
machine to get it into the upload file set _really_ sucks. You don't want
to do that for every boot-floppies build. Been there, done that on m68k Mac.
Whatever goes into the install fileset needs to be handled in the context
of the boot-floppies build process, with tools available on Linux,
automagically.

BinHex encoded MacBinary format files _can_ be created with hfsutils. If
you want more, write a free StuffIf arrchiver for Linux.

	Michael

Disclaimer: Just MHO. I don't do boot-floppies on PPC (nor any
others anymore). Maybe the PPC people see things differently and will take
the pains to add a manual step to the procedure.