Re: BootX and the Stuffit Fiasco.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 01:28:04PM -0500, Advertising wrote:

all the problems you describe are the fault of Aladdin and thier
proprietary crap product and monopolistic practices.

> I believe the Stuffit self-expanding archive format works across the
> majority of the MacOS spectrum. (much wider that DebianPPC) Is there a
> reason not to use that file format for the Debian PowerMac install items?

because the self extracting archive in and of itself must be encoded
since the MacOS uses a exectuable format that cannot survive on
anything but the HFS filesystem.  since its encoded you need stuffit
expander to extract the self extracting archive.

besides that debian does not have MacOS, they probably just download
the BootX archive from BenH's site, BenH does not provide BootX in any
other format.

IMO BootX should be recursivly MacBinarized, then put into a .tar.gz
archive.  then any version of stuffit can extract it, along with Free
tools available for MacOS.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/