Re: help on yaboot, please

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 04:33:04AM -0800, ÀÌÁØ°É wrote:
> How do I override the yaboot.conf manually?

you can type an full path to a image in the boot: prompt, though
unfortunatly this is broken on yaboot 0.9, you can also boot a image
on the yaboot command line which might work on 0.9

at the boot prompt you can type for example:

hd:17,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda17

or on the yaboot command line first boot into OF and type:

boot hd:X,yaboot hd:17,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda17

> I was playing with the partition table in order to use
> the HD more efficiently. I even editted
> /etc/yaboot.conf but was stupid enough not to remember
> to run ybin before rebooting. So, my "rescue"
> partition is /dev/hda17 but yaboot currently thinks it
> is /dev/hda16 and refuse to boot. When I press <tab>,
> yaboot tells me that I can type in custom image
> locations, but I can't figure out the correct format
> of the location.

you may have the right format, its just that 0.9 doesn't allow this.

> My goal is to be able to boot from /dev/hda17/vmlinux
> with /dev/hda17 as the root partition WITHOUT the help
> of yaboot.conf. My pismo has no HFS or HFS+ partition
> and I do not have a bootable linux CD...

the format would be:

hd:17,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda17

if you have another machine on the network you could also use bootp.
and netboot.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/