Re: Pushing up daisies...

In newsgate.debian.powerpc, Ethan Benson wrote:
 > i hope your warrentee has not yet expired, because your bootrom has
 > probably been destroyed.  see the netbsd FAQ:
 > http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-bugs

Aye, that's what I'd read. Thus bringing the sudden, painful realisation to
my head.

 > your only chance is to try and boot the backup rom, to do this
 > shutdown, and boot while holding down the interupt switch, keep
 > holding it down for a long time and if it works you should get a OF
 > prompt where you can run set-defaults.

'kay... the interrupt switch - is this the thing defined as "reset button"
on Apple's website? The little button just above the power switch on the
iBook?

Are most Apple's supplied with backup ROMs?

 > i would neglect to mention the details of the boot failure if you do
 > need to send it in for warrentee repair. =20

Warranty's gone, which is a shame. It ended just before the hard disk died,
and I had to replace it.

I'll try this when I get home, thanks for the advice!

--
rob                                 off list/ng replies: rob@impure.org.uk