Re: XFree86 on potato

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:23:56PM -0800, Taro Fukunaga wrote:
> What are the nodes that I have to make and how do I make them? If the
> nodes aren't too hard to make, why aren't they in the debian package?
> (In other words, why is Potato broken when it is supposed to be a stable
> distro?)

the only node you absolutely have to make is /dev/input/mice

cd /dev
mkdir -m 755 input
cd input
mknod -m 620 mice c 13 63

debian does not use a package full of nodes, instead it uses
the /dev/MAKEDEV script like traditional *nix.  it has not yet been
updated to include these devices (since they just appeared in 2.2.18
and 2.4) as to why these nodes are needed that is due to Dan's
decision to enable the new input layer in the new kernel for 2.2r2.
unfortuantly i think perhaps that should have waited for woody.

> Fortunately my system is still running.

if you remove that dev rpm you will have to rerun /dev/MAKEDEV (which
you should do anyway to correct broken devices and permissions that
rpm no doubt created)  since it will happily delete everything under /dev

for others on the list DO NOT use dev .rpms on debian.  check the
archives for the guy who did and had to recover with a rescue floppy.

PS: i read the list there is no need to CC me.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/