From: Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu>
To: Taro Fukunaga <tarozax@earthlink.net>
Sent: January 2, 2001 4:13:27 PM GMT
Subject: Re: XFree86 on potato

Taro Fukunaga wrote:

> I reinstalled Potato on the following machine and can't start the mouse
> in X:
>
> Machine: PowerComputing PowerCenter 120
> Video:    XClaim3D 8MB
> OF:         Old World
>
> [snip]
>
> What can I put in my Device section so that I can use my mouse?

The big question here is: which kernel are you using?  If 2.2.18pre21 (the
latest kernel-image in potato), then see:
http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Franz.Sirl/inputppc.html

That page will help you configure the device files, gpm and X to work with
the
new input layer, which blends all of the attached mice into a single device.
But read it carefully, some things are not straightforward, such as the
keycodes
for button-2 and -3 emulation.

If you're not using the 2.2.18pre21, I'm afraid I can't help you, maybe
someone
else.  But because it simplifies a lot of things, I recommend trying to get
it
to work with the new input layer.

HTH,

-Adam P.