Re: compiling kernel

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:52:31AM -0500, Josh wrote:
> > what include links?  you aren't redhatizing your system by replacing
> > /usr/include/linux with a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux are
> > you?
>
> Well, this was a problem I talked about earlier in this thread.  I was originally
> compiling the kernel so I could make my G3 Powerbook work with a WaveLan card.  I
> was running 2.2.15 and I compiled the 2.2.16 kernel and booted it fine, but yes,
> based on documentation I found online, I made links from /usr/include/linux to
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux (same for /include asm, and scsi), but like I said, it
> booted and ran fine.  I was reporting problems I had when trying to compile the
> PCMCIA package (because I put a number in the EXTRAVERSION field of the Makefile,
> messing stuff up, which I removed), and I mentioned the /include links.  I was told
> not to do that, and to remove those links, which I did.  (Note: before I made the
> links in /include there was no /usr/include/linux.)  I am now trying to compile the
> kernal, and can't get 'make vmlinux' to work.  Again, I get this:

those symlinks are a very bad thing, lame redhat insists on doing it
despite orders from Linus to stop...  i guess that redhat just has to
be broken, oh well.

if you removed the links you need to put the files back that you must
have removed in the first place.   those files belong to libc6-dev, so
perhaps you need to reinstall that package:

apt-get --purge remove libc6-dev && apt-get install libc6-dev

> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36
>                          from scripts/split-include.c:26
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make:***[scripts/split-include/ Error 1

try reinstalling libc6-dev and see what happens then.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/