Re: Helix GNOME 1.2 (moving somewhat OT)

erbenson@alaska.net said:
> that would indeed be a good thing to do, the helix guys seem to be
> interested in doing these debs right so maybe if you get them built
> they will make them available.  i would guess they don't have access
> to any non-intel hardware which would explain the intel only binaries.
>  that is one disadvantage of non-debian developer maintained packages
> i suppose.  (is this eventually going to get an official debian
> maintainer?)

Actually, they do have linuxPPC RPM's it's just the debs that are i386 only. I
assume that gnome-1.2 will someday have an official debian maintainer, but it
certainly doesn't hurt when the upstream people are supporting debs (which
keeps debian current and nice). In any case, dbuild is kicking away now so the
debs should start to trickle out my network pipe sometime in the near future
(glib and gtk down, plenty to go), but I'm finding that I have to help it do
things in the right order just as I would have had to dith dpkg-buildpackage,
so I'm not sure what the advantage is. I'm kinda surprised, I thought the
autobuilders were more automated but maybe there is simply more human
intervention than I expected.

dbuild -V -v -a -s --no-signature-checks . (where . contains all the tars,
dscs, diffs, etc) is the way to use it, right? and then build -V -v -a -s
--no-signature-checks something.dsc when I want to build one particular
package?)

> yeah i don't really use gnome much but it looks like its starting to
> slowly push things.  improving asthetics and such is one step, moving

Gnome itself I don't care for and never really did. But it has done a good job
of building the components (abiword, gnumeric, powershell, etc) that make a
more productive linux environment, so I'm still interested in it. I'm also
glad to see KDE components getting more seperable (esp now that kparts makes
their interaction with one another well-defined). It looks like windows on the
surface but (espescially with KDE2's new konqui) it has really matured in it's
own right. I look forward to both of their futures, and intend to keep
leeching pieces for my desktop from both, since they all run so nicely with
blackbox in the lead :-).