Re: Helix GNOME 1.2

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 08:58:06PM -0400, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> erbenson@alaska.net said:
> > if they have source debs and assuming there is no portability bugs a
> > simple apt-get source helix-whatever and a dpkg-buildpackage should do
> > the trick (or apt-get -b source)
>
> > i think they have thier page setup so its aptable no?
>
> yes, they have apt-getable source debs, so this should be pretty painless.
> It's just that I expect that a) it's probably going to take many,many hours,
> so we don't need lots of people doing it and b) it's multiple packages, some
> of which I assume will have to be installed before others will compile. I
> assume dbuild is the way to go here, but I'm not entirely sure, I'll check
> into it and see if I can get us some debs made. It looks so cool in the

that would indeed be a good thing to do, the helix guys seem to be
interested in doing these debs right so maybe if you get them built
they will make them available.  i would guess they don't have access
to any non-intel hardware which would explain the intel only
binaries.  that is one disadvantage of non-debian developer maintained
packages i suppose.  (is this eventually going to get an official
debian maintainer?)

> screenshots, the panel can finally be hacked up to what may be my satisfaction
> :-)

yeah i don't really use gnome much but it looks like its starting to
slowly push things.  improving asthetics and such is one step, moving
beyond the `make it like windows' is the next (or NeXT) step.

i really hope that the helix and eazel guys can really do some
interesting things and prove that free software can really create
something new and *useful* building on real usuability and good
tasteful asthetics.  not just copying windows (KDE) or making fancy
but useless gimmiky appearances (apple's aqua)

(please take any comments on gnome itself to me privately)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/