Re: Install Potato 2.2r2 from CD onto Old World Mac?

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 07:48:50PM -0600, Garry Roseman wrote:
> I'm celebrating on New Year's Eve by installing Debian Linux on my
> "other" computer.  Happy New Year to all gracious Linux folk!

goodo

> First, the CD is not bootable on that computer or on my PowerMac
> 7600.  Huh?  The Linuxppc 2000 CD boots just fine on these computers.
> <snort>  [Could I make a bootable installation CD on my already
> functioning Debian PowerMac 7600? It has a Plextor CD writer and dual
> boots Debian Potato 2.2 and MacOS 9.]

it wont boot because it is not a newworld machine, it boot off anyhting
except an hfs cd with a System folder and assorted other things (as I
understand it)

The linucppc disk is created with commercial, non free, non gpl, etc etc,
tools, debian wont use such tools to create their cds or have such tools on
the cds to assist with install. So no you cant make a bootable debian
install cd as such.

> Second, the install floppies can't be used for installing.  The first
> image, the boot floppy, which I created on my functioning Debian
> Linux box using dd, does boot the PowerComputing machine and then
> asks for the root disk.  When I insert the root disk and hit return
> nothing happens.  There is no response, as if the keyboard is dead.
> I tried this with the Apple adb keyboard that is standard equipment
> on that computer and also with a Microsoft USB keyboard that is
> attached to a USB board on the PCI bus.  Of course, I tried making a
> new root disk but that doesn't help.  I tried disconnecting one or
> the other of the keyboards but that doesn't help either.  (The
> PowerComputing machine had been successfully running Linuxppc 2000
> and both keyboards were working fine with that older kernel.)

It should work (tm)

my 2.2r0 cd1 has
/home/cds/potatoppc1/dists/potato/main/disks-powerpc/2.2.16-2000-07-26/powermac/images-1.44

which contains boot-floppy-hfs.img  driver-1.bin  rescue.bin  root.bin

you of course want the root.bin and the boot-floppy-hfs.img, though if you
were able to get in as far as the root floppy being asked for I cant imagine
why it would have failed to load that. These files worked on my 7220, though
I still cant get the thing to run properly with quik, so I am using
macos+bootx still while trying to make the kernel boot from quik, though
this is another story)

> I checked the list archive and Ethan's web site; it didn't help me.

well there is a lot of stuff in the list archive, however unfortunately the
search thing for debian lists tends to suck arse, I generally just go in and
start reading archives. (debian needs somehting that can do full text search
of mail artchives nicely, like whatever they use at lists.linuxppc.org IMO)

Ethan's site wont be much use to you as it is concerned with yaboot/ybin,
you will need to use quik once you have the system installed to boot into
linux directly, or you could use macos+bootx still I suppose.

Search the archives for quik booting stuff, especially linuxppc-devel
archive.

> There is something I don't know --- how to install Potato 2.2r2 onto
> an old world Mac.  Thank you kindly for advice.

hmm, and the documentation, at least in 2.2r0 was not exactly useful. Oh
well.

	See You
	    Steve

--