How can I play music?

I installed the Debian Potato release w/ dmasound onto a PowerMac 7600/G3 some weeks ago. I've been going up the learning curve fairly smoothly. Now that I have the fundamentals working (XFree86 3.3.6, netatalk, icewm, tkdesk, tetex, lyx, mozilla) I tried to use xmms to play MOD music -- there was only a hissing sound. I also tried enabling sound in TkDesk but no sounds are heard. I've checked the archive for this mail list and the ppc installation guide and I don't see any instructions on playing music, enabling sound output, or using xmms. What command line and X utilities should I be using to control audio output and how can I play music CDs and MODs?

--
Garry "writing technical documentation using Linux if it kills me -- ouch!"