Install Potato 2.2r2 from CD onto Old World Mac?

At 21:20 -0600 12/9/00, Garry Roseman wrote:
I installed the Debian Potato release w/ dmasound onto a PowerMac 7600/G3 some weeks ago. I've been going up the learning curve fairly smoothly. Now that I have the fundamentals working

I'm celebrating on New Year's Eve by installing Debian Linux on my "other" computer. Happy New Year to all gracious Linux folk!

I bought the new official Potato CD set, 2.2r2, and tried installing Debian ppc on my PowerMac clone, a PowerComputing PowerWave 150 (it's an Old World PCI Mac, like a 7600).

First, the CD is not bootable on that computer or on my PowerMac 7600. Huh? The Linuxppc 2000 CD boots just fine on these computers. <snort> [Could I make a bootable installation CD on my already functioning Debian PowerMac 7600? It has a Plextor CD writer and dual boots Debian Potato 2.2 and MacOS 9.]

Second, the install floppies can't be used for installing. The first image, the boot floppy, which I created on my functioning Debian Linux box using dd, does boot the PowerComputing machine and then asks for the root disk. When I insert the root disk and hit return nothing happens. There is no response, as if the keyboard is dead. I tried this with the Apple adb keyboard that is standard equipment on that computer and also with a Microsoft USB keyboard that is attached to a USB board on the PCI bus. Of course, I tried making a new root disk but that doesn't help. I tried disconnecting one or the other of the keyboards but that doesn't help either. (The PowerComputing machine had been successfully running Linuxppc 2000 and both keyboards were working fine with that older kernel.)

I checked the list archive and Ethan's web site; it didn't help me.

There is something I don't know --- how to install Potato 2.2r2 onto an old world Mac. Thank you kindly for advice.

--
  Garry Roseman  <mailto:memphis@macconnect.com>