Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Sergio Brandano wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > Sergio Brandano wrote:
> >
> > >  uninstalled packages:
> > > - Debian's xserver-fbdev (which provides the file
> > >   /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev for XF3)
> > > - LinuxPPC's xfree-xvfb (which provides the file
> > >  /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4, via alien)
> > >
> > >  installed packages:
> > > - Debian's xvfb (which provides the file
> > >   /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4)
> >
> > Do you need Xvfb? What for?
>
> I think it is the frame buffer server?

Nope, see http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.1/Xvfb.1.html . That manpage should also
be installed on your computer.

> You mentioned an accelerated server for Mach64 but it does not seem
> to be available in the present woody ppc distribution.

As of XFree86 4.0, there is only one 'real' server called XFree86 anymore,
which loads the drivers (like fbdev or ati, ...) for the various graphics
hardware and other stuff as dynamic modules.

> > > WRT yesterday's reported bug, the resulting
> > > system does not crash anymore. I also noted
> > > that the setting for the PCI pus may be
> > > commented out, as startx will auto-probe its
> > > value (single video system).
> >
> > That's certainly not true for the stock XFree86 fbdev driver. The server
> > will deactivate the graphics chip if the BusID is missing.
>
> Ok, allow it in my case though.

Of course, the fact that you use Xvfb explains it. The problems you were
seeing before were with XFree86's fbdev driver.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project