Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Dear friends,

I am reporting a little improvement wrt the posted situation.

 uninstalled packages:
- Debian's xserver-fbdev (which provides the file
  /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev for XF3)
- LinuxPPC's xfree-xvfb (which provides the file
 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4, via alien)

 installed packages:
- Debian's xvfb (which provides the file
  /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4)

I then renamed /etc/X11/XF86Config to
XF86Config-4, as recommended in the
manual for XF86Config, and modified
its content to use 0:17:0 as bus for the
ATI card.

WRT yesterday's reported bug, the resulting
system does not crash anymore. I also noted
that the setting for the PCI pus may be
commented out, as startx will auto-probe its
value (single video system).

What remains to do is to actually see the picture.
I have been kindly advised by Michel Dänzer
on the existence of a kernel patch from
Michael Schmitz. Dear Michael, as I am now
using a different machine with a proper mail
client, and I do not have your address here,
could you please tell me where I can find your
patch and, in the first place, if you think it may
be of help in the present situation? Thank you
in advance.

Sergio