Re: New to debian questions...

"Knapp, Robert (CAP, CMC)" wrote:

> 1) Is there a .deb of Xpmac? I'm limited to using the
> built in valkyrie chipset, and all the docs I've seen
> say Xpmac is the best to use.  I can get FB_Dev up
> for short periods of time, but it seems to crash fairly
> regularly.(Signal 11) (If not, where do I get the source
>  and where do I announce the availiblity of it?)

I don't know about any debs of Xpmac, neither do I think it would make any
sense as it's only a binary which you can put anywhere you like.

Or if you really want to you can alienate an RPM or even install it directly
with rpm. ;) You'll have to adapt /etc/X11/Xserver or your xdm/gdm/kdm config
in any case.

> 3) I've seen from my searches on the net that installing netscape on debian
> is some kind of issue. I know that all apt-get install seems to generate is
> broken dependancies.  Is there any resource that I could read on how to get
> this to work? [Searches on this list didn't find anything. I was probably
> looking at the wrong search criteria].

Just install communicator-smotif directly. 'apt-cache search
communicator-smotif' will show you the available versions.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project