Re: Configuring XF4 for Lombard

Sergio Brandano wrote:

>  uninstalled packages:
> - Debian's xserver-fbdev (which provides the file
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev for XF3)
> - LinuxPPC's xfree-xvfb (which provides the file
>  /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4, via alien)
>
>  installed packages:
> - Debian's xvfb (which provides the file
>   /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb for XF4)

Do you need Xvfb? What for?

> WRT yesterday's reported bug, the resulting
> system does not crash anymore. I also noted
> that the setting for the PCI pus may be
> commented out, as startx will auto-probe its
> value (single video system).

That's certainly not true for the stock XFree86 fbdev driver. The server will
deactivate the graphics chip if the BusID is missing.

> What remains to do is to actually see the picture.
> I have been kindly advised by Michel Dänzer
> on the existence of a kernel patch from
> Michael Schmitz. Dear Michael, as I am now
> using a different machine with a proper mail
> client, and I do not have your address here,
> could you please tell me where I can find your
> patch and, in the first place, if you think it may
> be of help in the present situation? Thank you
> in advance.

If there is just no display, but the machine still runs, Michael's patch
probably won't help.

I'm a little confused now.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project