Re: Re: More Yaboot

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:43:37PM -0700, Sam Powers wrote:

> hda7 is my bootstrap partition, everything before that is random whatevers from
> hd setup.. hd:7\\:tbxi is the right thing to use in openfirmware, right?

no hd:7,\\:tbxi  note the comma

> I'm running woody right now, actually, and the yaboot in proposed-updates looks
> no newer.. (0.8-0.23-1)

ah ok, woody will always have the current version, i assumed you were
running potato.

> my bootstrap partition certainly is before everything macos.. here's what it
> all looks like:
[snip]
looks ok

> Must I move that bootstrap partition up even farther, up before all those
> driver partitions?

no

> here's my yaboot.conf:
> default=Linux
> boot=/dev/hda7
> device=hd:
> ofboot=hd:

delete this ofboot line, its both wrong and uneeded.  ofboot= is
supposed to be the full OF path to the bootstrap partition, you have
no partition specified.  but this is automatically determined now, so
you don't ever need to define it yourself unless for some reason
ofpath does not work on your system.  (say with a unusal SCSI card)

> delay=5
> timeout=400
> install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
> magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
>

> ## Comment out if you have a newworld compatible nvsetenv (ybin can
> ## likely detect the incompatible version) when commented out ybin
> ## will update the boot-device variable in OpenFirmware to the
> ## bootstrap partition.
> nonvram

comment out nonvram, since you run woody you have the updated
powerpc-utils, this will fix OF for you and you won't have to fsck
with OF setenv or boot commands.

> image=/vmlinux
>    label=Linux
>    root=/dev/hda9
>    read-only
>    partition=9
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>    label=Linux.old
>    root=/dev/hda9
>    read-only
>    partition=9
>
> macos=hd:10

this is ok, though you could also use: macos=/dev/hda10

> also, is there somewhere i can get more info on openfirmware in this
> wallstreet, like all the interesting variables in there like oem-banner,
> oem-logo and stuff?

they are part of the OpenFirmware specification, Apple does not
document thier broken implementation of OF very well at all.  i think
you have to pay for the OF spec, but i have an older draft copy in .ps
format if you want it.  (warning: its huge, dry and boring)

let me know if the above fixes the problem.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/