3dfx accelerated XF4.01 in Potato

This is another one of those newbie posts, so bear with me.

I recently switched from linuxppc to debian on one of my machines (8600/G3
upgraded w/ Voodoo 3 2000 PCI) and it's been a positive experience so far. I
am having a lot of trouble getting XF4.01 to correctly run in accelerated
mode with the Voodoo 3 card. All I am looking for is some 2d acceleration, I
don't need any 3d capabilities for games or 3d applications right now.

I followed the instructions to install XFree86 4.01 with the current
development drivers (through rsync) for tdfx support as listed on
penguinppc.org/usr/xf4. After a compile and a full recompile (the first
attempt made a total mess of the Debian install) I now am able to get
XFree86 up and running, however with severe artifacts. Windows do not draw
fully, and when moved do not redraw correctly or at all. I got the mouse to
work while the keyboard is still very confused about what to do, and
basically is useless for any typing (alt, cmd, control all turn on the caps
lock for example.)

I'm no ppc linux warrior by any means and I try to figure out as much of
this as I can right now by looking for web based info. There is info out
there, but it is few and far between and most of the time conflicting or
very unclear on what to do. Bottom line is: how do I get this to work
correctly and is there anyone who can help me out with this?

I would be very grateful.

pH.

---
"The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music."
 -George Carlin

Pepijn Bruienne
Macintosh systems and network consultant
Internet and multimedia developer

Clogshoe Inc.
http://clogshoe.dyndns.org
---