Re: Booting to Linux after installing MacOS X (Was: Re: getting pismo to boot by itself "smoke test")

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 10:34:06PM -0700, Michael K. Fleming wrote:

> Actually, I've been having a real problem setting the default boot
> device back properly after installing the recent MacOS X public beta.  I
> had followed your yaboot instructions and had everything working great.
> But since installing MacOS X, the only way I can boot to Linux is to hold
> down <Option> and click on the appropriate icon (even <space> doesn't
> work).

yes MacOSX is pulling a Microsoft, it reorders the partitions around
and moves your bootstrap partition last,  the only thing you can do is
use mac-fdisk to put it back where it belongs: before all mac partitions.

> I tried doing the "setenv boot-device" thing in OpenFirmware, and it
> didn't seem to help.

try using ybin 0.23 or 0.26, you can get this out of
potato-proposed-updates.  this version of ybin will set the
boot-device variable for you.  note you may have to change the value
of boot= in /etc/yaboot.conf since macosx moved it.  (again i
reccommend reordering things to put your bootstrap partition back
where it belongs.)

> Does MacOS X do something particularly nasty?  Has anyone tried this yet?

yup see above.

> (Incidentally, this is on a Pismo, and I installed MacOS X on a UFS
> partition)

in this case when you move your bootstrap partiton back and use ybin's
new `macosx=' config option you need to use the MacOSX bootstrap
partition as the device.  not the macosx root partition.  you can find
this out via mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda

if you could send the output of the mac-fdisk command that would help.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/