Firewire iBooks: supported yet?

Hi. I'll be ordering a firewire ibook sometime tomorrow. It would be nice
to be able to run linux on it as well as MacOS, although I'll primarily
be using it for MacOS.

Anyway, my main questions are:

* Where are the CD images? I couldn't find them at "ftp.debian.org".
Is there a chance modification will be needed in order to run on the
new ibooks? I noticed earlier on the mailing list (I'm on the list,
I'm far from caught up, but I've been reading through the archives)
that the preferred method for booting is yaboot, and the CD uses yaboot
to boot, but there's a file in there with some notes regarding which
machines are compatible. I guess that would be the first problem.

* What version of X comes with that CD? Should I switch to another version,
and will this cause problems with any of the software currently in potato
or woody?

* Should I upgrade my kernel? Do any of the kernels support this iBook
yet?

* Perhaps I should just wait a month or so?

* Regarding the partition map: After the driver/patch partitions, I was
going to have:

1 Meg ybin partition
1 Meg probable OSX bootloader partition (I don't know the details about it,
but I figure I should leave a free partition there just in case).

Then 4 linux partitions:

250 meg /
2500 meg /usr
1000 meg /home
128 meg swap

Then 3 MacOS partitions:

5000 meg HFS+
1125 HFS (mainly as storage area for CD images and file exchange with Linux)
10 gig HFS+ (video data).

(In case you're wondering, I'm getting the 20 gig HD).

Does that partition setup look OK to everyone here? I'll be putting an
hfs+ placeholder partition in place of all of those when installing MacOS,
as per regular installation instructions. Given about 5 Gig to play with
for laying out Linux on this thing, do y'all have any suggestions?
Should I have a separate /usr/local? What about /tmp and /var?
(Do I want to run a newserver on a laptop? probably not...)

Finally, about a mac I already have debian on:

* I'm away from my mac at work, but when I installed debian on it a long
while ago, the upgrade process was tortuous. I eventually wound up with
the modules in a different place than they're supposed to go, I thing,
or the modutils in a different place. I get error messages while booting
up about it. Is it worth the trouble to fix this problem or track down
the cause? The main symptom seems to be that printing and sound doesn't
really work; it's an old Starmax 5000, so I'm not really expecting much.

The thing is, it's buggy, but it works, should I bother trying to fix
it?

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net