Re: Firewire iBooks: supported yet?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 09:22:10PM -0500, Phil Fraering wrote:
> Anyway, my main questions are:
>
> * Where are the CD images? I couldn't find them at "ftp.debian.org".
> Is there a chance modification will be needed in order to run on the
> new ibooks? I noticed earlier on the mailing list (I'm on the list,
> I'm far from caught up, but I've been reading through the archives)
> that the preferred method for booting is yaboot, and the CD uses yaboot
> to boot, but there's a file in there with some notes regarding which
> machines are compatible. I guess that would be the first problem.

cdimage.debian.org

> * What version of X comes with that CD? Should I switch to another version,
> and will this cause problems with any of the software currently in potato
> or woody?

3.3.6.  if you want 4 get the debs out of woody (if there there by the
time you get to it) or from Branden's page.  (sorry no url handy)

> * Should I upgrade my kernel? Do any of the kernels support this iBook
> yet?

depends what revision of the ibook you get.  i always compile my own
kernels though.

> * Perhaps I should just wait a month or so?
>
> * Regarding the partition map: After the driver/patch partitions, I was
> going to have:
>
> 1 Meg ybin partition

too big, make it 800K, FYI, out of 800K nearly 700 is wasted already,
so making it bigger does not buy you anything but more wasted space.
the minimum is 800K due to limitations of HFS.

> 1 Meg probable OSX bootloader partition (I don't know the details about it,
> but I figure I should leave a free partition there just in case).

don't do that.  OSX seems to have a wierd bootstrap setup, better to
let it do it itself.  do note that you will have to use mac-fdisk to
reorder your ybin bootstrap partition back to first in line after an
OSX install.

> Then 4 linux partitions:
>
> 250 meg /
> 2500 meg /usr
> 1000 meg /home
> 128 meg swap

add a 200 - 400MB /var at minimum, then make your / 50 - 60MB instead.

a 30 - 40MB /tmp is a good idea for security too.

> Then 3 MacOS partitions:
>
> 5000 meg HFS+
> 1125 HFS (mainly as storage area for CD images and file exchange with Linux)
> 10 gig HFS+ (video data).

ok, note macosx will want its own partitions, i highly reccommend
using UFS instead of HFS+ for the MacOSX partitions, HFS+ setups are
getting broken way to easily.

> (In case you're wondering, I'm getting the 20 gig HD).
>
> Does that partition setup look OK to everyone here? I'll be putting an
> hfs+ placeholder partition in place of all of those when installing MacOS,
> as per regular installation instructions. Given about 5 Gig to play with

excellent, you get a e-lollipop for reading docs ;-)

 _
/ \
\ /

;-)

> for laying out Linux on this thing, do y'all have any suggestions?
> Should I have a separate /usr/local? What about /tmp and /var?
> (Do I want to run a newserver on a laptop? probably not...)

see above, i reccommend a seperate /var and /tmp then a smaller / it
makes recovery much simpler, and is much safer.  (just start
mentioning filesystem corruption around me and watch me rant about how
this setup has saved my *ss)

> Finally, about a mac I already have debian on:
>
> * I'm away from my mac at work, but when I installed debian on it a long
> while ago, the upgrade process was tortuous. I eventually wound up with
> the modules in a different place than they're supposed to go, I thing,
> or the modutils in a different place. I get error messages while booting
> up about it. Is it worth the trouble to fix this problem or track down
> the cause? The main symptom seems to be that printing and sound doesn't
> really work; it's an old Starmax 5000, so I'm not really expecting much.
>
> The thing is, it's buggy, but it works, should I bother trying to fix
> it?

hmm, im not sure i understand what is going on here..

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/