Re: Differences between i386 and ppc kernels?

dwayne@austin.ibm.com wrote:

> >> dhcp works fine with a kernel that supports it.  As you say, the Debian i386
> >> kernel has it, the Debian pmac kernel doesn't.  Why?  Got me!
> >
> >Exactly what is needed?  File a bug on kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac,
> >please.
>
> Okay, I'm in the process of submitting a bug and I realized I do not
> actually have kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac installed. I have whatever kernel
> is installed by the boot floppies. Does this mean I should
>
> 1. Submit the bug against kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac?
> 2. First install kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac, test again and then submit a bug?
> 3. Submit the bug against boot-floppies or some other package?

4. See what bugs have already been submitted vs. kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac by
visiting http://bugs.debian.org/ and determine whether it's best to submit a new
bug, send a new message to an old bug (e.g. mailto:72503@bugs.debian.org), or not
do anything because your problem is described completely by an existing bug.

Note: the index by package name seems to be a touch slow to update.  If you search
for bug 72503 by number, it's there, but by package it's not.  This is the bug I
just submitted earlier in response to this thread.

If you decide to submit a new bug, proceed with either 1 or 2 above, the only
disadvantage of 1 is that it will list the installed version as N/A.

It might be worth submitting a wishlist bug against boot-floppies requesting that
it register the installed kernel and modules with dpkg.  The implementation might
be tricky, but it would make it easier to bug report against the installed kernel,
and to remove it, so it's worth asking for.  Skimming the list of bugs against
boot-floppies doesn't turn up anything obvious.  Do you want to do this or should
I?

-Adam P.