Re: Differences between i386 and ppc kernels?

>dwayne@austin.ibm.com wrote:

>386
>> >
>> >Exactly what is needed?  File a bug on kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac,
>> >please.
>>
>> Okay, I'm in the process of submitting a bug and I realized I do not
>> actually have kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac installed. I have whatever kernel
>> is installed by the boot floppies. Does this mean I should
>>
>> 1. Submit the bug against kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac?
>> 2. First install kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac, test again and then submit a bug?
>> 3. Submit the bug against boot-floppies or some other package?
>
>4. See what bugs have already been submitted vs. kernel-image-2.2.17-pmac by
>visiting http://bugs.debian.org/ and determine whether it's best to submit a n
>ew
>bug, send a new message to an old bug (e.g. mailto:72503@bugs.debian.org), or
>not
>do anything because your problem is described completely by an existing bug.
>
>Note: the index by package name seems to be a touch slow to update.  If you se
>arch
>for bug 72503 by number, it's there, but by package it's not.  This is the bug
>just submitted earlier in response to this thread.
>
>If you decide to submit a new bug, proceed with either 1 or 2 above, the only
>disadvantage of 1 is that it will list the installed version as N/A.

I think your bug report is sufficient. I'll install the kernel-image just
to make sure it does not fix the problem and then I'll build a kernel with
your supplied patch to make sure it fixes the problem.

>It might be worth submitting a wishlist bug against boot-floppies requesting t
>hat
>it register the installed kernel and modules with dpkg.  The implementation mi
>ght
>be tricky, but it would make it easier to bug report against the installed ker
>nel,
>and to remove it, so it's worth asking for.  Skimming the list of bugs against
>boot-floppies doesn't turn up anything obvious.  Do you want to do this or sho
>uld
>I?

I'll open the wishlist bug against boot-floppies. Thanks for the advice.

--
Dwayne Grant McConnell		work:  dwayne@austin.ibm.com
PowerPC Linux Team		home:  dgm69@austin.rr.com