Re: Differences between i386 and ppc kernels?

dwayne@austin.ibm.com wrote:

> The ThinkPad works fine. Is there a known problem with the dhcp package
> or is this really evidence that different kernel config options are
> used on the two architectures? If the latter is this intentional and
> why?

dhcp works fine with a kernel that supports it.  As you say, the Debian i386
kernel has it, the Debian pmac kernel doesn't.  Why?  Got me!

Different configs are inevitable, as some things aren't available on some
platforms, and some things don't build everywhere, others don't run.  Vastly
different configs as we have now are a problem, not sure of the reason.  It's
currently being discussed in the "Motorola StarMax... quandry" thread.

-Adam P.