Re: Installation super-woes on PowerBook 3400

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:29:42PM -0400, Patrice LaFlamme wrote:
> >
> > I hope the output of pdisk -l /dev/hda is sufficient? :)
>
> yes this exactly what i wanted (mac-fdisk is pdisk, but with less
> bugs)

heh. that's what I thought :) and more features ;) (can initialize
partition map)

> this is very interesting, you have NO macos drivers on this disk, the

How can you see this exactly?

> way i understand the Hardware macos ROM it loads the macos drivers off
> the disk before executing the macos system file, from what i can tell
> on my newworld system the MacOSROM executable (which creates the ROM
> in RAM) loads the disk drivers before loading the system file.  the
> fact that the ROM is ignoring the missing drivers is quite
> interesting.
> >
> > that'll be fine as soon as I can get Debian to install ;)
>
> you should be able to get quik out of the debian base tarball.

ok, well, I got the source tarball from ftp, compiled it, read and tried
to understand quik.conf (doesn't seem that hard...), and ran /sbin/quik.

I rebooted, and miboot still booted...

Considering my partition map, how should I configure quik?

> > I'll take my chances.. though I'm a little reluctant to scrap
> > everything...
>
> believe me debian is worth it ;-)

I know, I have it on my Pentium166 and one of my NetWinders (and
gradually, my others too, as debian-arm becomes more mature...) The reason
I'm relunctant is that I have a working system right now on my laptop.. ;)
But I will install Debian one day... ;)  (interesting that the LinuxPPC
installer _did not_ install any of the x-related dev packages, such as
Xfree86-devel even though I had selected the X-Window Development!)

> > yes, but I hformated to have the volume name I wanted :)
>
> um that volume name is in the filesystem itself, which is overwritten
> by the miboot filesystem image.  (the name you see in pdisk -l is set
> in the partition table and hformat does not modify it)

oh right... I guess I didn't make the connection, since my volume
names and partitions names were the same ;)

> miboot is wierd i basically know how it works but its hard to explain
> and not really that helpful to you ;-) (translated: i would spew a
> bunch of incomprehensible gobbeldy gook and bore you to tears)

well, I found some more info on the net that basically said I need ResEdit
to configure miboot, so...

> > (I'll also need to find miboot documentation too, since I can't seem to
> > boot a kernel I compiled myself... argh...)
>
> if i had an oldworld box to play with i might document it but the
> closest i have is a 68K powerbook 540c that quit working sometime in
> the last month or so :(

well, my problem is probably miboot. Let's see if we can get quik to work,
and then work on the kernel thing... :)

Thanks,
Patrix.