Re: Installation super-woes on PowerBook 3400

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:29:42PM -0400, Patrice LaFlamme wrote:

> I hope the output of pdisk -l /dev/hda is sufficient? :)

yes this exactly what i wanted (mac-fdisk is pdisk, but with less
bugs)

> [root@comet ~]# pdisk -l /dev/hda
>
> Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/hda'
>  #:                type name    length   base    ( size )
>  1: Apple_partition_map Apple       63 @ 1
>  2:           Apple_HFS MiBoot    5000 @ 64      (  2.4M)
>  3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap    131073 @ 5064    ( 64.0M)
>  4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 boot     41028 @ 136137  ( 20.0M)
>  5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Root   6891214 @ 177165  (  3.3G)
>  6:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Home    939173 @ 7068379 (458.6M)
>
> Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=8007552 (3.8G)
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

this is very interesting, you have NO macos drivers on this disk, the
way i understand the Hardware macos ROM it loads the macos drivers off
the disk before executing the macos system file, from what i can tell
on my newworld system the MacOSROM executable (which creates the ROM
in RAM) loads the disk drivers before loading the system file.  the
fact that the ROM is ignoring the missing drivers is quite
interesting.

i wonder if all machines will work this way or only some, perhaps
later machines have hard coded disk drivers in the ROM that are used
when none are found on the disk?  this is quite helpful since it means
miboot can be used without any non-free Apple code (macos drivers) the
CDROM however does not seem to work without these drivers so it won't
help there...

> that'll be find as soon as I can get Debian to install ;)

you should be able to get quik out of the debian base tarball.

> I'll take my chances.. though I'm a little reluctant to scrap
> everything...

believe me debian is worth it ;-)

> yes, but I hformated to have the volume name I wanted :)

um that volume name is in the filesystem itself, which is overwritten
by the miboot filesystem image.  (the name you see in pdisk -l is set
in the partition table and hformat does not modify it)

> Well, as I ranted in my previous email, documentation is a rare commodity.
> I have absolutely no idea how miboot works. No idea how to tell it which
> partition should be root. yadda yadda... It just worked magically when I
> tried it.

miboot is wierd i basically know how it works but its hard to explain
and not really that helpful to you ;-) (translated: i would spew a
bunch of incomprehensible gobbeldy gook and bore you to tears)

> (I'll also need to find miboot documentation too, since I can't seem to
> boot a kernel I compiled myself... argh...)

if i had an oldworld box to play with i might document it but the
closest i have is a 68K powerbook 540c that quit working sometime in
the last month or so :(

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/